Moving from NZ to USA
Different states in the USA have different requirements when it comes to customs and immigration procedures. We want to make sure that your move is stress-free without any bumps in the road. Read the following information before you move to the United States:
- Your passport, residency documents and correct visa must be up to date before you enter the country
- Provide an itemised list of personal effects that are less than one year old. These items will also be subject to duties and fees. Effects older than one year will be duty free.
- The shipper needs to be in United States already when the effects arrive.
- You cannot ship food.
- We recommend that you do not ship alcoholic beverages. Each state has different regulations on alcohol which range from paying high duties and taxes to being prohibited. Clearance times and examinations will always have delays and likely additional costs.
- Prescription medicines must have a doctor’s prescriptions. You cannot bring more than 3-6 month supply.
- You must have approval prior to shipping firearms and dangerous goods. These may need to be sent separately from household goods.
- Domestics pets can be relocated, but they will need health certificates and vaccinations.
- Motor vehicles do not usually comply with US regulations. Check regulations before shipping or storing your vehicle.
For more information on customs and visa procedures, visit our resource hub.Find out more